The Chartist Information and Exhibition Centre at Salem Chapel in Blaina is run by the Nantyglo and Blaina Charter Group. The group is run entirely by volunteers and provides exhibitions and lectures on the history of the Chartist movement to community groups and schoolchildren. The chapel is a grade II listed building and stands opposite the Post Office on Blaina High Street.
In 2010, the chapel was renovated thanks to a £200,000 grant through the Welsh Government’s Community Facilities and Activities Programme (CFAP), £90,000 from the Holistic Area Regeneration Plan through the Heads of the Valleys Programme and £10,000 from Nantyglo and Blaina Town Council.
The Information and Exhibition Centre has a permanent art display tracing the history of the Chartist Insurrection of 1839. There are also exhibitions of artefacts and films on the Chartists, the Scotch Cattle and the Blaina Riots. The Charter Group has recently secured Heritage Lottery Funding for state of the art exhibitions and displays that will open in September 2012.
Community facilities available at the Centre include a meeting room, conference centre and display area.
Chartist Visitor Centre
Tel: 01495 292817